Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Review #5 About a Dragon by G.A. Aiken



About a Dragon by G.A. Aiken is the second in her “Dragon Kin” series which I will be referring to as the sexy dragon books. There are 6 books in the series and I’ve read the first 4. I actually started reading this series because it was part of the Vaginal Fantasy Hangout on Goodreads.
 
The first thing you have to understand about the sexy dragon books is that they are basically crackfic. If you read fanfic you’ll know what I’m talking about, but crackfic is basically completely out there bizarre crazy stories that are supposed to be funny. Usually crackfic is just bad, but the sexy dragon books are brilliant. I’m not even sure I can explain this book series. But I’ll try.

The sexy dragon books are about the royal family of dragons and the people who love them. It takes place in an alternate fantasy world that has two suns. This royal dragon family has 6 siblings and the books follow their romantic exploits. The thing I love about these books is that it’s this huge family of siblings, cousins and parents and they’re constantly getting into each other’s business. The later books in the series actually get a bit overwhelming because there are so many side characters that reappear in each book. I love that they’re messy and loud and constantly beating each other up. I’m pretty much always giggling when I’m reading a sexy dragon book and I just can’t put them down. It’s the kind of book where when you start you just can’t stop, yes, they’re Pringles.

This particular book follows Briec the Mighty and Talaith the Nolwenn witch. Briec’s brother Fearghus the Destroyer (yes that all have ridiculous names, and yes they’re hilarious) got himself a girl in the previous book and Briec is wondering why he can’t find a nice human gal to at least bone. That is when he comes across the lovely Talaith about to be burned at the stake. He rescues her and then carts her away to his cave so that he can seduce and then bone her. However not all is well since Talaith is being blackmailed by an evil goddess and someone is out to kill the queen. (Who is Briec’s sister-in-law, Annwyl the Bloody married to Fearghus the Destroyer). Come on! Look at that sentence I just wrote! There is just so much WTFery all over the place. The basic plot is that Talaith needs to be saved from the clutches of the evil goddess, and Annwyl has stop the assassin.

Things I liked about this book:
-The sex. Aiken can write some seriously hot sex. Her couples have the greatest sex, and it happens frequently.
-Briec and Talaith’s arguing. – They actually start to refer to is as their foreplay. It’s kinda cute.
-Appearance of gods and goddesses. This is a fantasy novel so there is magic, but Aiken portrays the pantheon in a very interesting way, the gods are seen as super powerful nuisances. Every character would really prefer if they didn't have to deal with the gods at all.

Things I didn’t like
- The courting between Briec and Talaith. He pretty much just captures her and then she gets Stockholm syndrome and they bone. It’s not my favorite way a couple falls in love.
- The writing. She is hilarious, but not a good writer. It can put a damper on the book.

Over all I give this book 3 out of 5 cans of Pringles. So far this has been my least favorite book in the series. But this series is amazing, the next book has an atheist who talks to gods. Come on! That’s great! 

You can buy this book here or at your friendly neighborhood indie

No comments:

Post a Comment